The Doug Mirabelli Trade: An Oral History

Doug Mirabelli was Tim Wakefield's personal catcher while in Boston. (via wknight94)

Doug Mirabelli was Tim Wakefield’s personal catcher while in Boston. (via wknight94)

As the weeks turn into months and the months into years and the years into decades, all those regular-season afternoons and nights start to blend together. Another day, another game, another win or loss. Repeat.

May 1, 2006, was a little different for the Red Sox. It was a Monday, and they were set to play the Yankees on ESPN. It was Johnny Damon’s first time back at Fenway Park since leaving Boston for the Bronx as a free agent the previous offseason. The stage was a bright one, as far as the spring goes.

The Red Sox won, 7-3, but the game was far more memorable for what happened in the hours leading up to it. That day, 10 years ago this weekend, marked backup catcher and knuckleball whisperer Doug Mirabelli’s return to the Red Sox.

The December prior, the Red Sox sent the 35-year-old Mirabelli — long Tim Wakefield’s personal catcher — to the Padres for second baseman Mark Loretta. They acquired Josh Bard from the Indians (in the Coco Crisp deal) a month later to replace Mirabelli.

April 2006 was a period of adjustment — Mirabelli adjusting to San Diego, Bard to Boston, Wakefield to Bard. It wasn’t going well. Bard had 10 passed balls in five Wakefield starts, including two in their first inning together and four in Bard’s final start on April 26 in Cleveland, the middle stop of a three-city road trip for the Red Sox.

Then-Sox general manager Theo Epstein was on that road trip. The game against the Indians motivated him to move on perhaps the most famous trade for a backup catcher in the history of baseball — a trade he now considers the worst he’s ever made.

“No offense to anyone involved in the deal, but I point to that trade because it was the worst process I’ve ever had,” Epstein said. “We were faced with a challenging situation, Bard not being able to adjust quickly to handling the knuckleball.

“Instead of being patient and coming up with a creative situation, we got caught up in some of the panic that was enveloping our clubhouse. I got too close to the situation and made a really reactionary move.”

As the Red Sox finally returned to Boston that Sunday night, with a chance to sleep in their own beds before the Yankees came to town, Epstein was on the phone with then-Padres GM Kevin Towers. By the next morning, they agreed: Mirabelli back to Boston, Bard and relief prospect Cla Meredith to San Diego.

This is the story of that day.

The Negotiations

The deal was all but done Sunday night, April 30, with one hangup: Towers wanted Meredith. So did Epstein. Epstein slept on it.

Doug Mirabelli: Every chance I got, I was keeping an eye on the Red Sox. I felt like I was still part of that team in some ways, just because I had so many friends on it. I kept in contact with Wakefield and Jason Varitek and those guys, just to see how everything was going.

Kevin Towers: Our guys would give him a hard time. Because we play on the West Coast, during BP or after BP we can watch east coast games go off. Guys used to razz him all the time. “Give it a break. Put the Red Sox in your freaking rearview mirror.” He really missed the Red Sox.

Tim Wakefield: You usually don’t have that conversation with a general manager. “Oh, I miss Boston,” when you’re in San Diego. That’s Doug, though. He’s not afraid to speak his mind. That’s what I love about him.

A Hardball Times Update
Goodbye for now.

Mirabelli: Kevin Towers mentioned to me that there had been some talk about maybe me getting it back [to Boston]. As far as what day or when it was going to come, I did not know.

Towers: The way teams tried to extract the most out of the Red Sox at the time was to somehow get my good friend [and Yankees GM] Brian Cashman involved in it with interest in Mirabelli as well, to drive the price up. Theo wasn’t willing to part with [Meredith] at the time. I knew that if I got the Yankees involved, they’d probably step it up.

Pushing for Meredith, it turns out, was straight out of the playbook of Larry Lucchino, former Padres president and then-Red Sox president.

Towers: He used to always tell me in every deal, try to get an arm, regardless of who it is. You never know with an arm. I was basically using a little bit of the old Larry formula on him.

Theo Epstein: I was trying to do it by including Jermaine Van Buren as the second player instead of Meredith.

Towers: We probably would’ve done a one-for-one.

Epstein: Another process mistake was I was on the road with the team. When you’re on the road with the team, it feels like there’s always a crisis around a big league team. I didn’t do a good job of keeping good perspective. People were panicking about it.

Towers: I knew they needed Mirabelli, because he was the only guy who could catch Wakefield.

Epstein: I think Towers knew he had us. He could probably sense the desperation.

Towers: Theo’s a pretty good poker player, but having worked with him [Epstein worked in the Padres baseball operations department from 1998-2002 under Towers], I know when he really wants something. I could sense in his voice, you know what, I might be able to extract a little bit more, especially if he really believes me that [Mirabelli was] going to the Yankees.

Mirabelli to the Yankees, however, was never a realistic possibility.

Towers: Negotiating ploy. Smoke signal. I owe Cash one for that. But I knew if Theo perceived that they had interest, he’s going to do it at all costs, because I knew that he needed Mirabelli.

Brian Cashman: I don’t think I was talking to him about acquiring Mirabelli, but I was participating in driving the price up. I would be there. Anything to make our rivals pay a higher price. I think we were both — Theo and I — always trying to go above and beyond, on behalf of our fan bases.

Epstein: It’s hard to make a trade in April. As a rule, you don’t want to. It means something’s gone wrong, and you usually have to overpay.

Towers: So that’s how we ended up getting Meredith at the last minute. Bard and Meredith, to prevent Mirabelli from going to the Evil Empire.

Epstein: I was going to call the players involved. I went into my phone, J-o-s-h. J-o-s-h B. I was going to call Josh Bard and tell him he was traded — which is never a fun call to make. So I called him, I clearly woke Josh up. I said, “Hey man, it’s Theo. This is a tough call to make, but we made a trade and I have to let you know that you’re in it.” And he goes, “Really?!” I said, “Yeah, we felt like we needed to get somebody in here who has experience catching Wakefield.” He goes, “Theo, Theo, Theo. This is Josh Beckett. You sure you traded me?” I called the wrong Josh B. in my phone.

Wakefield: I loved Josh [Bard], and he was a great friend and a great teammate. Unfortunately, it didn’t work out. And I felt bad for him. I felt like I ruined his career.

Towers: Our guys that year were big poker players on the plane. Mirabelli lost his meal money every single road trip. The guys were crushed Mirabelli was leaving, because he helped supplement their meal money on the road. We were no longer going to have him on the plane. They used to call it “Mirabelli Bucks.”

Mirabelli: To say I was excited would be an understatement.

The Travel

After Epstein pulled the trigger at roughly 10 a.m. ET, he wanted Mirabelli in Boston — ASAP. That night’s 7 p.m. ET game was a big one, and Wakefield was starting.

Towers: The toughest part was, how are they going to get him there in time for the game? I remember Theo said he had a private plane that’s picking him up.

Mirabelli: It was about a six-passenger, mid-size private jet that left out of San Diego at about 10:15 a.m. [1:15 p.m. ET]. It was just myself, the pilot and the co-pilot. They came back to tell me, “Look, I think we can make it gas-wise, but if not we’ll have to land.” I’m not sure I really want to run out of gas trying to make it to a game. I’m sure they didn’t either, right?

Jack McCormick, Red Sox traveling secretary: It was a struggle because of the six-hour, five-hour flight and the three-hour time change.

Josh Bard: I was in my place in Boston with my 8 1/2-month pregnant wife and 2-year-old son. I got the call around noon that I was traded and had to leave my wife, which was very hard, and go to the airport to get a flight to San Francisco.

Wakefield: I came into the park that day around 2 o’clock. Terry Francona called me as soon as I walked in the door. “Hey Wakie, come here.” Uh oh. What’s going on? I never get called into the manager’s office the day that I’m pitching. Normally. That’s a no-no. He said, “Hey, your boy Dougie is on his way here. We just traded for him.”

Mirabelli: It’s a six-hour flight, they told me. Maybe 6:20. I’m like, “We can’t even make it.” We’re landing at 7:30, 7:45 p.m. I’m just kind of chilling at this time. I’m relaxed in the back going, “I don’t see how this even works out. I’m sure glad I’m on this plane heading back to Boston, but there’s no way we can make up that much time.”

Then Mirabelli’s jet started making good time.

Mirabelli: They cleared us straight over Cleveland. I guess with airplanes they typically don’t go over other airspace, they have to go around it. But for this occasion, they cleared us straight over Cleveland.

Towers: I had heard stories about clearing airspace. I’m like, “My god, Doug Mirabelli?” Mirabelli, man. They must really want this guy bad if they’re sending a private jet to pick him up and clearing airspace over Boston.

Mirabelli: The pilot said to me after we got cleared over New York, “I don’t even know who you are, but I’ve carried hearts and lungs and never had this much clearance over airspace.” And I’m like, “Well don’t tell them who I am. You go over New York and all of a sudden they’re going to clear us around Canada or something.”

Bard: While in line at the airport the guys in front of me were just crushing me, talking about how bad I sucked at catching the knuckleball. I didn’t say a word. They had no idea I was standing behind them. And they were right. I did stink at catching the knuckleball.

Wakefield: I went through my normal routine, my normal day, thinking OK, Mirabelli might not make it. It’ll be good to see him and we’ll get him next start.

Mirabelli: There is a — and I’m not kidding — line of planes lined up to land at Logan all the way back to Providence. There’s like 20 planes lined up to land, and they cleared us in front of all of them.

Wakefield: I went through my normal routine and go down to the bullpen and Tek is catching me. Doug is nowhere to be found, nowhere in sight. Didn’t know where he was or how long he was going to be.

Mirabelli: We come in [to Logan], we hit the ground, we don’t even really hit the brakes. We land and we take a left turn like we’re in a sports car, and we get to the private section at Logan. We land at 6:48 Boston time. There’s a state trooper there with a Ford Explorer SUV.

Epstein: We regularly use police escorts to get the team in and out of Logan, so the traveling secretary [Jack McCormick] had an idea. He set it up.

Towers: I remember guys glued to the TV in Boston that night. The clubhouse was like, “Is Doug going to make it there in time? We have to watch this. Maybe he’s going to parachute down into the bullpen.”

Mirabelli: I changed into my uniform as we were driving, from Logan all the way into Fenway. It was funny. We had a helicopter over the top of us. It was nuts. It was really nuts. It was nuts.

Mirabelli — well, his driver, Sgt. Dave O’Leary — took Storrow Drive during part of their six-mile journey from Logan Airport to Fenway Park. At 7 p.m. on a gameday, Storrow is, um, packed. A parting of the seas of sorts ensued.

Mirabelli: I’ve used that term many times. People were pulled over on the side of the road. They saw the police car. It was bumper to bumper, and they were pulling over letting us through. It’s a Red Sox-Yankees game, [many drivers were listening] on the radio. They knew I was coming in. Somebody who worked for the private jet company called into one of the talk shows and told everybody I was coming in that day.

McCormick: [O’Leary] kept me abreast of where he was. The tunnel, Storrow Drive, Boylston Street.

Mirabelli: We were pushing it. Unfortunately I think the state troopers took some heat over taxpayer-money stuff. I felt bad about that.

Massachusetts State Police (via a statement): We wouldn’t do something like that again, certainly not with lights and siren. As a public safety agency, that was not an appropriate use of our assets.

Towers: Maybe I should’ve asked for more than just Bard and Meredith.

Wakefield: Varitek warmed me up in the bullpen and I was done with warmups and it was game time. Let’s go.

Cashman: Didn’t they delay the start of the game?

Mirabelli: They did, like, seven ceremonial first pitches that night. “Here’s Joey from Brockton, going to throw out a first pitch.” They just dragged it on and on.

McCormick: I was right in the parking lot [on the corner of Van Ness Street and Yawkey Way], waiting, waiting on an update from Sgt. Dave O’Leary. I said, “Oh boy, we gotta do it.” Theo was calling me. I was saying, “He’s coming, he’s coming, he’s coming. If we can get him in time, Dave will get him here in time.”

Wakefield: Tek and I did a fist bump after we warmed up and he’s like, “This is going to be fun. I haven’t done it in a while.’”

McCormick: We alerted [security] to let this guy in — of course, he was going to get in anyway with the flashing blue lights — but everybody was anticipating his arrival. Everybody.

Cashman: We all heard what was going down. It’s somewhat out of our control. We were just waiting for the game to start. You heard rumblings about it behind the scenes: They were waiting for him to get here, he was getting a police escort.

Mirabelli: We get to Fenway, it’s 7:02 p.m., somewhere in that area. I did not have any cleats. When I got in there, Wily Mo Pena gave me his cleats.

McCormick: We met him right at Van Ness. We waved him through. He walked through the gate, and we got him into the clubhouse.

Wakefield: I walk into the dugout, and I walk into the tunnel right before the national anthem, and who do I see? Mirabelli — full uniform, full gear, full everything, just walking at me. I gave him a big hug and welcome back.

Mirabelli: That’s when it hit me. It kind of hit me like holy schmoly. We’re about to do this.

McCormick: It was fantastic.

The Game

There wasn’t much time for pleasantries between Mirabelli and his former/brand new teammates. First pitch, originally scheduled for 7:05 p.m., eventually happened at 7:13 p.m.

Mirabelli: I remember going out on the field and going through warmups. Wakefield always threw two fastballs, a curveball, four knuckleballs and a throw-down. I catch the first ones easy, and then the first knuckleball he throws me, it hits my glove and bounces out. The crowd is like, “Ohhhh.” I can remember going, “You gotta be kidding me. Is it going to be like this all night? Every pitch?”

So the next one. He throws the knuckleball and I catch it and — I’m not kidding you — 37,000 people are cheering because I caught a knuckleball.

Wakefield: He hasn’t caught one pitch of mine all year, and he gets off the airplane, in the state trooper’s car and here we go.

Mirabelli: Then Johnny Damon comes up. He’s the first hitter that day. He says what’s up, a quick “Hey, how’s it going?” And we’re on.

Mirabelli caught the first inning without a rather important piece of equipment.

Epstein: I think he caught the first inning without his cup. Which is hilarious.

Wakefield: I didn’t know that until after the inning was over with. I’m like, “Dude, great job! It’s like you never left!” He’s like, “Dude, I didn’t even get a chance to put my cup on.”

Mirabelli: I forgot my cup. It was in the police car. I didn’t see it, and it was floating around in the back of a police car. I went through the first inning without a cup, and [before the] second inning I ran in and put one on.

Wakefield: Hilarious.

Mirabelli: It worked well because the Yankees swung at a lot of early pitches early in the game to let me get settled in and get my confidence back of catching that thing again. They swung at a lot of early pitches and by the third or fourth inning I started feeling like, “OK, I kind of got this again.”

And so had Wakefield. After taking the loss in his three previous starts, including the aforementioned four-passed ball game on April 26 when he allowed five runs in 5.2 innings, Wakefield was back on his game with Mirabelli steadying him. He tossed a quality start — seven innings pitched, three runs allowed — and would post quality starts in his next two outings as well, including a nine-strikeout effort in the Bronx. Everything had worked out.

MSP: It was a bit of serendipity, perhaps, that it fell into place that night for the Sox. Sort of like the way a Tim Wakefield knuckleball would look like it was way high and then float into the strike zone. So call it luck or karma or whatever you want. Glad it worked out for the Sox that night, but we wouldn’t do that again.

Wakefield: Dougie was a great catcher. To be able to do what he did, to catch me — he had the best hands I’ve ever thrown to. Unbelievable.

Mirabelli: And then we win to cap it all off. No passed balls. It was in our grasp the whole time. It didn’t seem like anything. The only thing that could’ve been better is if I had gone deep.

Tim Healey is a Boston-based sportswriter. He works for Sports on Earth and the Boston Globe and can work for you, too, if you want. Follow him on Twitter @timbhealey or email him here.
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Randy Russell
8 years ago

The Best. Oral histories!

A fan
8 years ago

What a great memory, and I’m so impressed with the candor of all involved. Even the MSP line at the end has a poetry to it that most PR people would never attempt. Thanks for the story!

8 years ago

Mirabelli was a hack. Trading him for Meredith was definitely throws worst deal ever.

8 years ago
Reply to  Coletrain

I see what you’re saying about the baseball sense of the deal, but….this story is literally a Sox legend. I hope Theo makes this kind of a deal every time it comes up.

8 years ago
Reply to  Coletrain

Lighten up, Francis.

8 years ago
Reply to  Coletrain

LMAO, You must be a Yankee fan. Bard was okay but Merideth sucked and without Mirabelli the sox don’t win that world series in 2007.

Jo Dorlando
8 years ago
Reply to  Coletrain

Mirabelli was a hack? Guess you weren’t watching the same games everybody else watched…you are the hack

8 years ago

I remember watching the entire event unfold on television.. a great moment in Sox History.

8 years ago

Fascinating story. I remember the trade, and remember hearing about how it was super rushed to get Mirabelli at Fenway for the game, but I had no idea all the details behind it including the travel arrangements and everything. That would be insane for a superstar, but for a backup catcher? Absolutely incredible they were able to pull it off. Thanks, Tim, for the trip down memory lane!

8 years ago

I like the part when Epstein tells Josh Beckett that he’s been traded for a backup catcher. Simply imagining Beckett’s tone like calming down a panicking child is pure gold.

And Wakefield needn’t feel to bad about Josh Bard – Bard probably had a better career after being traded to the Padres than he would have in Boston.

8 years ago

I feel like this quote from Mirabelli was said on purpose: “The only thing that could’ve been better is if I had gone deep.”

Reminds me of this, which circulated around in 2004:

8 years ago
Jetsy Extrano
8 years ago

This is great. Josh Beckett made me laugh, and I love that the backup catcher got the “bigger than hearts and lungs” treatment.

Backup catchers are weird, man.

Dan Nicholson
8 years ago

Don’t forget that John Flaherty had left the Yankees and signed with the Sox, he likely would’ve been the backup had he not retired at the end of Spring Training. In a way he was responsible for all the ensuing chaos, and perhaps was rewarded with a YES Network gig for his trouble.

8 years ago

No one ever brings up that in addition to the ceremonies the grounds crew fakes a sprinkler problem behind the mound to further delay the game. I was working there and couldn’t believe all the things they pulled that night.

8 years ago
Reply to  Ivan

Same with me. If Dave Mellor is out on his hands and knees pregame there has to be a serious issue. I remember walking through the COO and VP convo in the hallway. Classic.

8 years ago

You’re missing the part where the Sox brass instructed the grounds crew to continue to check the grass in the infield.

8 years ago

Was at the game, my god what a spectacle when Mirabelli walked on to the infield. Couple that with Damon’s return (complete with fans throwing dollar bills on to the warning track for Damon to “collect”) and the sox yet again getting to Mo Rivera and it was one of the best games I’ve ever seen at the ol park.

Phil G
8 years ago

Four years ago they had Wakefield throw out a ceremonial first pitch at Fenway. So of course…

8 years ago

If the Yankees pulled these shenanigans there would be an investigation at many levals,ATC,TSA,NYPD. Low rent all the way.ESPN would have gone ballistic.

8 years ago
Reply to  Pounder

The yankees have pulled all kinds of stuff and the media has ignored it. You’re a tool

Barney Coolio
8 years ago

Fantastic story!

Another wrinkle in the story is that after the Padres traded for Mirabelli, the Padres signed Mike Piazza. Mirabelli was not happy. He felt that if he had to leave Boston, at least he could be a starter, but if he was going to be a backup catcher, he sure didn’t want to be in San Diego. He considered SD to be not a big league city.

Well, the Padres made the playoffs that season, and Boston didn’t.

John C
8 years ago
Reply to  Barney Coolio

But Mirabelli got another ring a year later, in his last year in the major leagues.

8 years ago
Reply to  Barney Coolio

And the Padres have sucked every year since. Your point?Oh yes, it’s waaaaaaaaaaah

Fred Burford
8 years ago

Before being traded away Mirabelli thought it was funny to goof on Jonny Miller from WBZ Radio because Jonny was born with cerebral palsy. So then in order to get this low life back he gets a State Police escort from Logan. According to Mirabelli this created a fuss “over taxpayer-money stuff”.
Doug Mirabelli, living proof of how we have lost all perspective with pro sports.

8 years ago

Oh, put a sock in it, Fred.

John C
8 years ago

Sorry, Theo, you’re not making us forget trading Bronson Arroyo for Wily Mo Pena by calling a swap of backup catchers with a middle reliever thrown in as “the worst trade you ever made.”

8 years ago
Reply to  John C

Arroyo did nothing after he left Boston. You have a short memory

8 years ago
Reply to  John C

Oh and Eric Gagne ring a bell?

8 years ago

I was at the game with my youngest brother. We sat in the bleachers and watched people throwing dollars and loose change at Damon. It was one of the most strange, electric games I had ever been to, outside Playoffs (prob up there with some of the Morgan’s Magic games).

8 years ago

Mirabelli was a whiny little bitch during his short- but- sour stint with the Padres. Buh bye crybaby.

Bring Back the Brown
8 years ago
Reply to  Lisa

The local media here in sd still make jokes about him being a jerk during spring training and through april.

8 years ago


8 years ago

1986 Game 6….nuff said.